Students taking a World Language will obtain a high degree of oral/expressive, written, and reading/receptive proficiency at the conclusion of study. All offered languages are modern languages, with the exception of Latin. Along with the study of language, students will also be exposed to the history, geography, and culture of language studied. Most colleges and universities require a minimum of 2 years of the same language studied, with preference given to 3 years of study.
- WL0906 - AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1006 - AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE 2 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1106 - AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE 3 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL0908 - CHINESE/MANDARIN 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1008 - CHINESE/MANDARIN 2 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1108 - CHINESE/MANDARIN 3 (FULL YEAR)
- WL0903 - FRENCH 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1003 - FRENCH 2 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1103 - FRENCH 3 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL125 - FRENCH 4 HONORS (FR103 UW 5 Credit Course) (FULL YEAR)
- WL1200 - FRENCH 5 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL0904 - LATIN 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1004 - LATIN 2 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1104 - LATIN 3 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL1112 - LATIN 3 HONORS (LT 103 UW 5 Credit Course) (FULL YEAR)
- WL1220 - LATIN 4 VERGIL HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL1222 - LATIN 5 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL901 - SPANISH 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1001 - SPANISH 2 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1100 - SPANISH 3 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL123 - SPANISH 4 HONORS (SP 103 UW 5 Credit Course) (FULL YEAR)
- WL133 - SPANISH 5 HONORS (FULL YEAR)
- WL0912 - HERITAGE SPANISH 1 (FULL YEAR)
- WL1012 - HERITAGE SPANISH 2 (FULL YEAR)
Prerequisites: HSPT score as an incoming Freshmen; minimum B average in English courses; or teacher approval.
The beginning, first year course will focus on learning the phonetic system, writing simplified Chinese characters, as well as using Mandarin to conduct simple conversations. There will also be opportunities to explore the Chinese culture.
New course for the 16/17 school year
Prerequisite: C average in Mandarin/Chinese 1 and teacher recommendation.
Mandarin 2 continues to develop the language holistically found in daily communication and cultural development. This content will include how East interacts with West (reflected in language) in modern times. Mandarin 2 embodies content, critical thinking, and multiple perspectives in increasing sophisticated grammar and vocabulary.
**NCAA Approval Pending
*New Course for the 17/18 School Year
Prerequisite: C average or higher in Mandarin 2 and permission from instructor.
Mandarin 3 builds on Mandarin 1 and Mandarin 2’s mastery in integrated listening, speaking, reading, and writing. It challenges advanced students with more complex language features embodying graphophonics (particularly accents), syntax and semantics. Mandarin 3 will also address issues surrounding China-world relations.
**NCAA Approval Pending
Prerequisites: HSPT score as an incoming Freshmen; minimum of C average in English courses; or teacher approval.
This course covers beginnings of French language and French culture. Focus will be on the spoken language, as well as French history, customs, geography, civilization and literature. Notebook maintenance is required.
Prerequisites: 81% average in Spanish 3 and permission of instructor in writing and/or placement test.
This college-level course covers advancedlevel Spanish using the UW Spanish 103 syllabus, history of Spain (from the period of its first inhabitants to present day), and introduction to Hispanic literature. Notebook maintenance is required.
Prerequisites: 81% average in Spanish 4 and permission of instructor in writing and/or placement test.
In this course, the focus is reading and comprehension of Hispanic literature. We also continue the study of advanced-level Spanish grammar, conversation, writing, and composition. Spanish 5 students may assist as teachers’ assistants to the Spanish department.
Prerequisites: Students must already speak and understand Spanish; teacher recommendation required.
This course is designed to build upon the language base that students of Spanish heritage have acquired outside the educational system. This course assists students in attaining greater literacy, grammar, writing and comprehension skills in the Spanish language. Additionally, this course includes cultural awareness of the Hispanic world and is entirely taught in Spanish.
**NCAA approval pending
Prerequisites: C average in Heritage Spanish 1 and teacher recommendation.
This course will build on the skills acquired in Heritage Spanish 1. Students will read a variety of Spanish literature; continue to write clear, grammatically correct paragraphs; speak in order to express their advanced level of critical thinking through projects and presentations, while increasing their sophisticated grammar and vocabulary. Opportunities for further development of Hispanic culture and heritage will be explored.
**NCAA Approval Pending